Thumbing through some old recipe books and found this. I usually don’t cook with wine but it sounded delicious. I’ve always wanted to be a fancy chef!
- 3 lb frying or roasting chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 whole pimento, cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon Sherry wine
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced thick and sauteed in butter
1) Mix thyme or oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, salt and flour in small bag. Shake chicken in mixture and brown in butter or olive oil. Pour wine, tomato juice and pimento over chicken; cover and simmer 30 minutes for frying chicken or 60 minutes for roasting chicken. (May need more juice.)
2) Turn chicken several times. When tender pour the fresh sauteed mushrooms over chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings