Thank you to Sandy Josephson for bringing another Y.L.U. Cook Book that has a publication date of 1913. Wow! Here is a recipe from Sandy’s cook book.
Chop Suey by Julia Johnson of Rugby, N.D.
- 2 pounds porterhouse steak, chopped in small bites
- 1/4 box spaghetti broken in half, cooked
- 4 medium sized onions, chopped
- 4 potatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 5 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of catsup salt and pepper to taste
Boil spaghetti in weak salt water, drain and blanch in cold water about 10 minutes. Fry onions until nice and brown. Take off heat. Mix together meat, spaghetti, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, celery, catsup and seasoning. Put into large baking dish and bake (at 350°) for 45 minutes (or until steak is done.) Stirring 2 or 3 times.
Recipe Notes-This recipe seems to yield a lot so you may want to cut down on the veggies. I would start by using only one onion and one stalk of celery.