I love looking back in the “Years Ago” and finding “Oldies but Goodies” for recipes.
This recipe is from Barb Guttormsson’s “Kitchen Corner” column in the June 8, 1994 issue of the Mascot.
Black-Bottom Banana Bars
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
1) In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined. Blend in the bananas.
2) In separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. 3
) Divide batter in half. Add cocoa to half; spread into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife.
4) Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until the bars test done. Cool.
Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 dozen