Several years ago, I dug out my sewing machine and made rice packs for heating/cooling aches and pains. I love my rice packs but I was curious.
I wanted to know if there is a recipe for ice packs. Sure enough, I found several different recipes from the bizarre (diapers) to a mixture of alcohol, water, salt and dish soap.
But one stood out that I thought I would share. A recipe for gel ice packs on Youtube from Before I count to 3.
Now, I have to get my sewing machine out again to make covers for these packs.
Ice Pack Gel
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup corn starch any color food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup water (only used if mixture gets too thick)
1) Pour water into large pot. Add salt and stir until dissolved. Stir in corn starch until all lumps are gone. Add a few drops of desired food coloring. Cook on medium to high heat until a gooey gel.
2) Let it cool for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3) Spoon gooey gel into a gallon double zipper storage bag. Make sure all air is out and seal. To make sure of no leakage, put bag into another gallon double zipper storage bag. Make sure all air is out and seal.
4) If you are ambitious, make a cloth cover out of your favorite material.