Soon it will be time to harvest your garden and you may be looking to canning, but before you do that use some of those freshly gathered veggies to make a salad. Here is a great recipe for a summer salad from my “More Lifelong Favorites” collection from the “Senior Perspective” that is available for sale at the office.
- 14 or 16 ounce ring macaroni or small macaroni shells, cooked
- 2 cups cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups salad dressing
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Boil the macaroni first, then drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Dressing made separately - blend the sugar and salad dressing. Add vinegar, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
3. In a large bowl, pour dressing over cooked macaroni and vegetables. Mix well and enjoy!