I found a great French dish from my “Fix it and Forget” it slow cooker cookbook. If you are looking for something with a little more pizazz, then try this recipe!
Coq au Vin
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 thick slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
1. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the following order: onions, bacon, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, pepper, chicken, wine, broth.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours.
3. Remove chicken and vegetables. Cover and keep warm.
4. Ladle 1/2 cup cokking liquid into small bowl. Cool slightly. Turn slow cooker to High. Cover. Mix reserved liquid, tomato paste, and flour until smooth, Return mixture to slow cooker, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until thickened.
5. Serve chicken, vegetables, and sauce over noodles.